News & Events
The Coronavirus: What You Need to Know
What is the coronavirus disease?
The coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) is a respiratory illness that can spread from person to person. The virus that causes COVID-19 is a virus that was first identified during an investigation into an outbreak in Wuhan, China.
How does COVID-19 spread?
It is not clear yet how easily coronavirus spreads from person-to-person. Human coronaviruses most commonly spread from an infected person to others through:
- The air by coughing or sneezing
- Close personal contact, such as touching or shaking hands
- Touching an object or surface with the virus on it, then touching your mouth, nose, or eyes
How can I protect myself and others?
There are steps you can take to reduce your risk of getting sick from viral respiratory infections, and help prevent transmitting infections to others, including:
- Washing your hands often
- Avoiding touching your eyes, nose, or mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoiding close contact with those who are sick
- Covering your mouth and nose when you sneeze or cough
- Cleaning and disinfecting objects and surfaces
- Staying home in you are sick
To learn more about COVID-19 visit: