Mid-State Health Center is excited to announce its partnership with TerraCycle, a leading company in the recycling industry to provide a recycling option for dental products. As part of its commitment to environmental sustainability, and in honor of Earth Day on April 22nd, Mid-State’s Bristol location is now a designated drop-off location for oral health products.
Did you know?
- 1 billion toothbrushes are thrown away every year in the US. That’s enough to stretch around the Earth 4 times.
- The average person uses 300 toothbrushes in their lifetime.
- Toothbrushes are not recyclable in mainstream recycling programs because they get stuck in the machinery.
- 50 million pounds of toothbrushes are added to landfills in the US annually.
Protect your teeth and our planet! Patients and community members can bring in their oral health products, such as plastic toothbrushes, floss containers, toothpaste tubes, and any other oral health packaging to Mid-State’s Bristol facility at 100 Robie Road. These items will be collected and sent to TerraCycle for recycling and upcycling.
“I am thrilled to partner with TerraCycle to offer our patients and community members a convenient way to recycle their oral health products. By taking small steps towards sustainability, we can make an enormous difference in the health of our planet,” said Kelly Perry, DMD, Dental Director at Mid-State Health Center. “By participating in this program, we hope to reduce the amount of oral health product waste that ends up in landfills and oceans. We encourage everyone to join us in this effort to make our planet a healthier and more sustainable place to live.”
How else can you help our planet?
- Try alternative, biodegradable materials like bamboo toothbrushes and flossers. Bamboo grows quickly and is biodegradable, composting in 6 months. A plastic toothbrush will not breakdown for hundreds of years.
- Look for companies that reduce or avoid plastic packaging. Aluminum, glass jars, cardboard and plant-based plastic alternatives are all available for oral health products.
- Try to find sustainable options at local stores.
- Consider buying in bulk to reduce the packaging and shipping footprint.
Mid-State Health Center is committed to promoting a healthy lifestyle for its patients and the environment. Mid-State believes that slight changes can have a big impact and is proud to offer this opportunity to its community.