GENERAL SUMMARY OF DUTIES: Responsible for processing insurance authorizations for referrals and orders. Assist with daily functions of patient services department including, but not limited to; answering phones, check-in, check-out, and task messages.
- Assist with completion of all pre-certifications for physical therapy, occupational therapy, radiology procedures and behavioral health appointments. Initiates appeals, and insurance referrals.
- Books, coordinates and schedules/reschedules patient appointments as necessary including referral appointments when required. Responsible for documenting and tracking referrals.
- Assist with Veteran’s Affairs authorizations, insurance eligibility and authorizations, and cross boarder referrals.
- Offer exceptional customer service, attention to detail, accurate and timely task completion as expected from a Patient Services Representative.
- Communicates effectively and clearly; works effectively with co-workers as a team member and performs duties of other clerical office personnel.
- Verifies necessary information and records in the medical record.
- Answers questions regarding patient appointments and testing. Ensures patients understand all follow-up care needed by providing necessary documentation.
- Ensures that patients are scheduled properly and appointments are confirmed. Accurately books, coordinates and reschedules patients’ appointments as needed.
- Politely greets, registers patient in a prompt pleasant and efficient manner. Answers telephone, screens calls, takes messages, and provides information as needed. Deals with patient’s needs expeditiously. Completes necessary paperwork such as Medical Releases, HIPAA forms, patient demographic info, etc.
- Oversees waiting area, coordinates patient movement, reports problems or irregularities.
- Supplements office staff as reception tasks permit by assisting with photocopying, computer input/typing, scheduling laboratory or radiology work as directed.
- Books, coordinates and schedules/reschedules patient appointments as necessary including referral appointments when required.
- Balances money collected from payments received and delivers to collection box at the end of shift.
- Maintains clean, orderly waiting area and reading materials.
- Possible travel between office locations as needed.
- Attends meetings as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
The job holder must demonstrate competencies applicable to the job position.
EDUCATION: High school diploma or GED.
EXPERIENCE: Minimum of one year experience in customer service setting, six months receptionist experience in health care setting and experience with office equipment, previous insurance authorization experience preferred. Knowledge of medical terminology required. Word processing and computer experience.
LICENSES and CERTIFICATIONS / KNOWLEDGE and ABILITIES:
- Plan, organize, delegate and supervise.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of existing methods and procedures; developing, analyzing, and revising processes.
- Operate a variety of office equipment and computer programs.
- Apply policies and procedures.
- Set priorities among multiple requests.
- Ability to interact with patients, medical and administrative staff, public effectively.
- Communicate clearly and effectively in person, in writing, or by phone.
- Comply with established policies and procedures.
- Plan and perform diversified duties requiring knowledge of patient relations and medical information management fields.
- Computer literate with proficiency in Microsoft Office applications. Knowledge of database and
- Basic financial skills, as well as analytical skills for trend and situational analysis desired.
- Interact effectively with people of varied educational, socioeconomic and ethnic backgrounds, skill levels and value systems; work with frequent interruptions; be a team player.